By Kit Burton
Smartsville historic church restoration workers are conducting a photo contest for the best “scruffy” dog. Entries will be accepted during the month of March and prizes will be awarded to the winner and one runner-up at Pioneer Day in Smartsville, April 28.
As you may know, the non-profit corporation working to restore the historic, former Catholic Church in Smartsville is called Smartsville Church Restoration Fund, Inc., or SCRFI, pronounced “Scruffy.” Our organization is now 20 years old and to celebrate these years of hard work and a significant measure of success, we are looking for the photographic image of our mascot dog named Scruffy.
Following are the rules:
1. Entry date begins March 1, 2018. Last day for entry is March 31, 2018.
2. Limit of one photo entry per person.
4. Must be a photo of a real dog taken by you that best represents our mascot’s name, “Scruffy.”
5. Winner to be selected by SCRFI Board of Directors committee.
6. Winners to be announced on Pioneer Day, April 28th at 3:00 pm and will be notified no later than April 21st via email.
7. One winner and one runner-up will be chosen. Winner need not be present at Pioneer Day to win.
8. Prizes are PetSmart gift certificates--$50 to winner and $25 to runner-up.
9. Permission automatically is given to SCRFI for photo use upon entry.
The selected dog images may be used for promotion of our church restoration project and in our newsletters. We want him or her to represent our energetic and determined attitude to complete our task of restoring the historic, former Catholic Church.
More information may be found at our Pioneer Day facebook page.
An awards ceremony will be conducted at Pioneer Day to honor the participating photographers, at about the same time as the other Pioneer Day prizes are awarded. We will have a children’s art contest, a best-costume contest, a raffle, and perhaps more.
Pioneer Day this year will feature mining tours, children’s activities, self-guided tours of the church, arts and crafts vendors, yummy food, historic characters, wild west outlaws, gold panning and more.
For more information see pioneerday.info or call Kathy Smith at (916) 838-2757 or Kit Burton at (530) 701-2639.
Photo caption: “A Smartsville Dog”